Message from President
Home > Organization&Divisions > Message from President
For the past ten years, since establishment in 2007, AURI has achieved a great number of results with the vision of "people's happiness and nation's refined architectural and urban culture." AURI has dedicated the utmost effort to provide public policies that would serve as a basis for livable environment. It has worked for the improvement of the related laws and systems, as well as of plans, policies, and projects. Commemorating its 10th anniversary, AURI now envisions for the next ten years with a sense of both pride and humbleness.
During the era of compressed growth, we tended to focus on pursuing development in response to political, economic, and social demands of the time, rather than on exploring common values and characteristics of our architectural and urban spaces, let alone their operational natures. Now, it is time for more reflection and explanation about the fundamental and realistic questions that the majority of the people would accept regarding what architecture and urban space means to us and which spatial services are on real demand in current society.
AURI aims to provide national architectural agendas through reflection and explanation, based on make-sense researches of substantial assistance to our everyday lives. The success is to be accessed by the general public's approval, rather than by the professional's debate. It would enhance regional spatial services for the better quality of life. This requires interdisciplinary convergence with new smart technologies.
In addition, AURI strives to both globalize and localize the approaches to architectural and urban spatial inquiry through more collaboration among research organizations across the world.
Your continued support, encouragement, and advice to AURI in its steps toward the future are greatly appreciated.
President of AURI
- Bachelor of Engineering in Architecture, Yonsei University
- Master of Engineering in Architecture, Yonsei University
- Master of Science in Historic Preservation, University of Oregon
- PhD in Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington
- Professor, Dept of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University
- Assistant Professor, College of Architecture and Planning, University of Colorado
- Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation (GSAPP), Columbia University
- Presidential Commission on Architectural Policy
- Prime Minister's Commission on Urban Regeneration
- Cultural Heritage Administration, National Relics Division·Folklore Division·World Heritage Division
- National Research Council for Economics Humanities and Social Sciences, Planning and Evaluation Committee
- City of Seoul, Urban Planning Committee
- City of Seoul, Future Heritage Committee
- Prime Minister's Commission on Jeju Special Self-Governing Province
- Korea Healthy Cities Partnership, Academic Committee
Previous Members in